[thelist] configuring cvs diff?

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Sat Jun 1 12:51:01 CDT 2002

hi all,
I'm using CVS on a win2k box (via cygwin), and I'd sorely love to use my
diff application of choice (BeyondCompare) when reviewing differences
between my current version of a file and the version in the repository.
Does anyone know if this can be configured at all, and if so how?

e.g I type
cvs diff filename.html
and it would launch beyondcompare.exe to display the diff, instead of
the not-so-readable console display.

many TIA
.. a little tip cos it's been a while:

<tip type="file comparison with BeyondCompare" author="Sam-I-Am">
BeyondCompare (win32 directory and file comparison software from
ScooterSoftware) has a nice visual side-by-side view of file
differences, letting you copy/delete left to right, edit lines etc. You
can invoke it from the directory comparison view, by selecting a file,
right-click "Compare To" and selecting a 2nd file. However the file
viewer can also be launched directly to compare 2 files like so:

Run > "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare\beyond32.exe filename1.ext
filename2.ext"

BTW: For Homesite users, this makes possible a "compare these" button in
Homesite. See the activeScript here:
http://www.sam-i-am.com/work/homesite/scripts/compareThese.js
...which allows you to compare 2 adjacent open files in Homesite.

</tip>

Sam