[thelist] CSS - Twice The Fun?

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Mon Jun 3 10:11:01 CDT 2002

Long story short: I've got a website with two different templates. Template
A is a larger file that actually includes Template B in the body. Template B
is just a <table> that's 50px high and 100% wide, and adds a top layer
"branding" to the site, like so:

+----------------+
| +------------+ |
| | TEMPLATE B | |
| +------------+ |
|                |
|                |
+----------------+

Template A is almost the same, but allows for left-hand navigation:

+----------------+
| +------------+ |
| | TEMPLATE B | |
| +------------+ |
| |  |         | |
| |  |         | |
| |  |         | |
| +--+---------+ |
|                |
+----------------+

Everybody with me? Good. No matter which template you use, you're dealing
with the same CSS file ("/css/default.css" - creative, huh?).

Finally, the question:

Is it safe (meaning it's not going to create any problems that I haven't
noticed yet) to have the <link> tag in my document twice?

If they use Template A, they get it twice. Once from Template A, and once
from Template B. This hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of, but I don't
want any nasty suprises once this gets off the dev server and onto the
production one...

Also, the W3C validator doesn't seem to like the <link> within the <body>
(HTML4.01Trans). Any ways around this?

Thanks in advance, folks!

-Ken