[thelist] What's eating my PC

KGIII king_galen at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 12:17:01 CDT 2002

IMHO if you are a tweaker and a PC buff then you might find that you fall in
love with Outpost...  Available in free or paid version and still
inexpensive while it is in beta. You can download a copy here:
http://www.agnitum.com and it is one of the most highly configurable
firewalls out there that I know of. If you don't hate it you will love it,
there seems to be no middle-road with it. It does come with some presets for
a lot of common applications but there is still quite a bit of configuration
needed to insure that it is working properly and allowing only the specific
parts of applications that are a necessity to contact the Internet.
Personally? I love it though I can point to as many people in the world that
have tried it and hated it. It helps if you know about tcp/ip settings
already but all in all three or four cups of coffee on a Saturday afternoon
should do the trick and have you up and running in tip top shape.

Just to give a second opinion on the firewall issue. Oh, and if you are at
all computer savvy and have a  lifetime to waste in a newsletter and message
board then you can apply to be a beta tester and you can get a PRO version
of the software with all the latest updates for free too. Actually it isn't
a waste of time but it is a lot of time that you will find yourself devoting
to it.

Galen

If the problem does turn out to be Sygate Firewall, you could do a lot
worse than try Zone Alarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) - it's free for
personal use, and seems (on my machine at least!) to be stable, and
non-resource hogging.