[thelist] PHP Previous Next Navigation

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Mon Jun 3 14:22:01 CDT 2002

Simon,

[snip]...stuff about MySQL LIMIT...[/snip]

Thank you for your information. I am aware of and have used LIMIT for many
queries in MySQL, but there is a problem here that I probably have not been
clear enough about. These 3000-5000 records exist in a table that has
millions of records. So for each query with LIMIT MySQL has to traverse all
of the records right up until it receives the limit amounts back The further
into the table you go, the worse the delay. The array, if I built one from
the desired records, would take up less memeory space than most front pages
on web sites (under 30k), making it rather quick on subsequent "pages". I
know how easy it is to do this with LIMIT and I wish that I could take
advantage of it. But I am afraid that speed is the largest issue at this
point.

Thanks!

Jay