[thelist] Bobby (was: Accessibility Question)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jun 4 18:09:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, June 1, 2002, at 08:34  am, Lachlan Cannon wrote:

> Martin Burns said:
>> See the Bobby A link on the Right Hand Side?
>> It\'s longdesc is
>> http://www.easyweb.co.uk/descriptions/bobby_approvedA.htm
>> (nb the only reason for this page not being AAA is the repeated [d]
>> link)
>>
>> Or take a look at the office pic, which is longdesc\'d to
>> http://www.easyweb.co.uk/descriptions/office.htm
>> (that longdesc has an easter egg in it btw)
>
> Talking about Bobby, am I the only one it's wonked up for lately?

The downloadable Java version, or the site? The site is much improved
lately.

> I tried
> to get it to check my site, and the first thing it did was follow the
> first
> link on my page and check that. then when I retried it had a whole heap
> of
> spurious things it found wrong with the site, that I knew weren't there.

I've seen it be a bit flaky around nesting of h#, but other than that,
not bad.

> And then finally it removed that but wouldn't say my site passed the
> check
> because I needed to check to make sure my page made sense when
> stylesheets
> didn't work (which it does...).

It does have a number of user checks which an automated tool probably
could never accurately parse, but it will pass pages with a note saying
that it looks OK, but you need to perform the user checks to be sure
that it's accessible.

Validation by an automated tool is only ever going to be part of the
story, as to be effectively accessible requires understanding what the
intent of the page is, and whether the page actually fulfils that for
users with disabilities.

An automated tool will never (forseeably) be able to assess whether your
longdesc is an effective description of the image...

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,