[thelist] Bobby (was: Accessibility Question)

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 5 03:46:02 CDT 2002

Martin Burns said:
> Validation by an automated tool is only ever going to be part of the
> story, as to be effectively accessible requires understanding what the
> intent of the page is, and whether the page actually fulfils that for
> users with disabilities.

True, which is why eventually I just gave up, and read through the WAI
guidelines (and couldn't find anything I was doing wrong, though I'll admit
it was a briefish scan). It just amused me that in the end it was easier
checking against WAI myself rather than (trying) using an automated tool.

> An automated tool will never (forseeably) be able to assess whether
> your longdesc is an effective description of the image...

OTOH, it wouldn't be too hard to get a tool to recognise blinking flashing
bad font animated stuff, and generate a longdesc telling the person who
couldn't see the image to be thankful. ;)

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org