[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

John Handelaar genghis at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 5 05:36:01 CDT 2002

With all due respect, Rudy (and I hope you know that
I'm sincere about that)... that's a crock :-)

(For info, I usually do 'ice' designs - but part of
the logic of that process imho is that your maximum
layout width is 600px and no more)

The thing that bugs the crap out of me when this
comes up is that the pro-'liquid' camp insists that
I'm forcing people to resize their browsers (even
as they tell me their own layouts don't shrink to
smaller than 600px), when in fact *the exact opposite*
is true.

I run browsers full-screen.  I've never seen a
neophyte user do anything else (maybe it's a UK thing?
whatever, it's not relevant to this point anyway).

If a 'liquid' layout renders text columns which are
more than 8-12 words in length, that designer forces
*me* to resize my browser window, else the site
is unusable.  Yeah, it's a print-originating point,
but it's exactly as true on screen as it is on paper.

No 'ice' site I do at 600px ever forces anyone to
resize a window any more often than (I'm picking an
example 'cos he won't mind) Aardvark's stuff, by his
own admission a few posts ago.  By contrast, *lots*
of liquid sites, far far more, are less considerate.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com