[thelist] PHP sessions Apache/Windows

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Jun 5 09:41:05 CDT 2002

[snip]
> > I have a really weird error happening
> >
> > Code that worked fine (I think) 2 weeks ago doesn't work anymore.
> >
> > It's PHP that stores form values as session variables. It works on the
> > server (Apache/Linux) , but not on my workstation (Apache / Windows).
> >
> > It seems like a session variable is dissappearing...it's there on one
> > page, but then it just dissappears. Nothing in the code overwrites or
> > unregisters it...it just vanishes!

Oh, I am *so* familiar with this problem.. But I haven't been able to find a
cause yet! I've had the problem show up on Apache/Linux, with the same code
as the one that was working on another Apache/Linux box. Total mystery to
me...
[/snip]

Check your PHP version. In the latest version GLOBAL VARIABLES in php.ini
have been defaulted to 'off' instead of 'on'. This will effect how variables
are passed from page to page and/or how you have to retrieve them from page
to page. That would be the first thing that I would check. If you find it to
be 'off' turn it back 'on' and test your scripts.

HTH!

Jay