[thelist] Flash detection

Michael Galvin mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie
Thu Jun 6 08:12:57 CDT 2002

No doubt a subject matter that has been covered to death here and all over
the web, but I've never been totally happy with any scripts I've found and
used.

I want a flash detection script which will simply determine whether Flash 4
or above is installed.  However, I'd like this to be on a page where the
main content is.  If Flash, load the Flash animation, else load a static gif
file.

I found one a few months back and used it.  It works, but it's so damn slow.
I don't know where I got it from (possibly the MM site), but there's JS and
VBScript in there, and if Flash is not installed, there is a looooong delay
before the page starts loading.  Annoyign to say the least.  Something a
little more haste-filled and future proof would be great.

--
Michael Galvin
source visual thinking