[thelist] Netscape 4/5/6 - who's on first or who's down for the count?

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Thu Jun 6 08:32:06 CDT 2002

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

>> I get a *ton* of Netscape users to my site, more than IE. Unless I'm
>> reading the log
>> wrong... Not sure why it comes out like that when so many other logs show
>> IE to
>> be the favorite. Any one have an idea why or if I'm just interpeting the
>> data wrong?
>>
>> Have a look at:
>> http://www.markgroen.com/stats/2002_05.html#browsum
>
> I suppose it is because you don't exclude spiders
>
> Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; Master.com Watchdog as requested)
>
> is without a doubt some kind of spider. Spiders often mimic browsers (like
> Netscape 3, here) to get around badly written server side browser detects.
>
> Advice: ignore NN3 stats completely, assume they're all spiders.

You have a point, but remember that some people still use Netscape
Navigator 3.  I used to use it (back when I used Windows, and before I
stupidly {but accidentally} overwrote it), simply because I liked
Netscape but hated Navigator 4 (this was, obviously, whenever I didn't
feel like waiting on early versions of Mozilla to load, and didn't want
to use Lynx).

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/