[thelist] Perl? PHP? mySQL? required to download software from a web site - REPOST

Mike Rudberg mrudberg at challengesoftware.net
Thu Jun 6 14:47:07 CDT 2002

Whenever you see ".../cgi-bin/someprog" the language used COULD be
anything - as long as the langugae is supported by the web server and (if
you wish to do things as you've seen), the ".htaccess" file must give an
indication of what you want the server to consider OK to execute.  Perl is
used a lot; however, PHP is making a major push forward.  This is primarily
because one has the ability (with PHP) to make a single program file which
would handle the entire generation of the website, including the action(s)
required by any form(s) being used.  Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT
suggesting that one language is better (or worse) than another one; however,
I am saying each language has its own "upside" and "downside".

MySQL is not a language, per se.  It's a combination of a database engine
and command set which allow for access, management, and manipulation of
single (or multiple) databases.  What I've seen is that PHP is used more and
mnore to create the frontend for MySQL, only because the MySQL - along with
other databases commands are built in, so that both access (to the database)
and web design may be both unified and uniform.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Mike
Visit us at http://challengesoftware.net

http://bemyringers.net/ringers - Ringers' Home Site
Ringers: The Best Alternative to Surfing

http://ringworld.sourceforge.net - The Official World of Webrings Project

My ICQ #:160896032