[thelist] Setting Permissions (CHMOD)

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Thu Jun 6 15:03:01 CDT 2002

Hi, Mark --

My Web host (PronicSolutions.com -- good guys, very responsive, and not
expensive) tells me that as long as I do NOT put an index file into a
directory, they have the server configured so it automatically does NOT
allow anyone to read the contents of that directory. See if your host
has implemented this same security feature.

Most programs I've placed in as PHP do require 777 (CHMOD everyone to
do everything), but the directory itself can be set to CHMOD 750 or
755 -- no one writes to that directory without a password... Of course,
that's only helpful when the program accesses the datafile in a
subdirectory.

Good luck, and perhaps you need a better Web host?

Cheers --
Carol S.
techwatcher at accesswriters.com

> Message: 15
> From: "Mark Joslyn" <mark.joslyn at solimarsystems.com>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:56:36 -0700
> Subject: [thelist] Setting Permissions (CHMOD)
>
> I have been messing around trying to set directory settings using the
CHMOD
> setting on my FTP site.
>
> Here is what I need:
> 	1.	I want access to do whatever I want in that directory
(read, write,
> execute).
> 	2.	I want customers to be able to upload (only) files to
that directory.
> 	3.	I do not want the files in that directory to be listed
if my customers
> view the directory
> 	4.	I want the files to be listed when I view that
directory.