[thelist] Re: Setting Permissions

Benjamin kalos at carolina.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 16:30:02 CDT 2002

>I have an FTP folder set up with my ISP. Currently, anyone can get
>permissions to write to this folder, but they cannot move, copy, delete,
>open, view or execute the files once uploaded

Pardon me for saying, but that doesn't sound like the best idea either.
With that scenario (world writable) any script kiddie with a bug up it's
butt could write a small perl script and cram at least a few hundred
MB/hour in your directory. Unless you're locked into this scenario by your
ISP, I'd seriously recommend changing the permissions to only allow
validated users to write to your directory. But then again.. I'm always
more paranoid than needed it seems.