[thelist] resolution stats

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 6 19:35:00 CDT 2002

> doesn't care about the people who will have to scroll right - as long
as
> that isn't the majority. Will that be the case?

The first thing you should do is try to convince your client to go with
a liquid layout. If you do, the design will work for anyone.

I think the majority of web users are at 800x600. Most major sites that
rely on fixed widths seem to be built with this in mind. Here are
April's monitor resolution stats from thecounter.com:

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/April/res.php

If those numbers still don't convince this guy, then try to squeeze all
of the site's important elements into the first 780 or so pixels of your
design. You can use the remaining 224 pixels for things that the user
won't miss, like advertising and promotions. If done right, the user may
not even notice that they are missing anything off to the right.

To get a sense of how much a user at 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 can
see in their particular web browser go here:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/41/index3a.html?tw=design

Cheers,

Beau