[thelist] resolution stats

John Corry webshot at members.evolt.org
Fri Jun 7 09:43:21 CDT 2002

> > I have found that most of my sites' visitors are at 800x600 too.
>
> really?  so what's their window size?
>
> i ask that, of course, because my own research showed that at
> 800x600, users had a mean available viewport of 719x397, and
> at 1,024x768, they had a mean viewport of 881x539...

OK...wow, you do a *really* good job.

For me, just knowing that they have ~800x600 of available screen real
estate is enough.

I'm actually totally neurotic and obsessive about *some* things (like my
'Morning Edition' coffee mug that I got at a NPR fundraiser attended by
Bob Edwards himself...small, intimate atmosphere...what an
experience)...my viewers window size when they visit my site is not one
of them.

We have absolutely no control over that.

I usually start with a table that is eiher fixed width ( at 740px) or
scales up with no horizontal scrolling above 700-740px.

I try not to position navigation elements so they'll get cut off the
right if a users window is smaller than my site.

Sometimes, if browser compatibility of formatting is not an issue, I use
CSS and <div>s so no matter what size the window, the content is
readable with no scrolling...thats a really nice way to do it.

I think there's no 'right' answer here...and that in time our philosophy
on this matter will change (regardless our current position).

John Corry
Neon Cowboy Design
http://www.neoncowboy.com
mail : john at neoncowboy.com