[thelist] Many domain names pointing to one

James S. Huggins (Evolt) Evolt at ZName.com
Fri Jun 7 10:07:00 CDT 2002

======================
[snip]
However, they have just informed me that I didn't even need to get in
contact with them, that when I'm registering the domain name, I should just
set it up so that the new domains names point to the IP address of the
original domain.  Shurely shome mishtake?
[/snip]

Find another hosting company because this one is clueless. You can have
multiple domains point to one IP, but this information still has to be
contained in the DNS server, which I would suppose resides at your hosting
company. You can set up virtual hosts on your servers, but if the DNS server
doesn't know how to resolve the name it is worthless.
======================

VERY true. The "forwarding" I mentioned earlier is different in that it does
NOT point to the IP address, but is a URL redirect.

HOWEVER,, you do not HAVE to use the DNS server at your host.

For example, you could pay for DNS server services at a provider separate
from your host and THAT might let you do what they discussed because YOU
would control the DNS.

OR, you could use the free DNS server feature at NameCheap
(http://www.NameCheap.com) mentioned earlier.

See this article http://www.cyberwingers.net/external-dns/namecheap.html

James S. Huggins