[thelist] Re: posting etiquette

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Fri Jun 7 13:00:04 CDT 2002

> <tip type="posting" author="Mark Gallagher">
> How to post is a very contentious issue (although less so on mailing
> lists than newsgroups), however, a little common sense can go a long
> way.  When posting in response to specific points, *don't* place your
> response above the original post and then copy & paste the originals -
> that leads to duplication, which leads to larger posts, which leads to
> longer download time, which leads to frustration, which leads to
anger,
> which leads to hate, which leads to sufferring... and the Dark Side.
> <cough />.
>
> When posting short replies to short posts, it doesn't really matter if
> you post on top or below the quoted text (personally, I prefer below).
> However, if you want to respond to particular parts of a person's
post,
> then for &deity;'s sake think a little - it'll save you time, and be
> *much* easier on the rest of us.
> </tip>
I apologize for often posting on top of a person's post; it's actually
a problem for me to respond to posts at all. Most of the time I'm lying
in my bed working on my non-connected computer. I come to the kitchen
(where I'm only supposed to sit, even on my kneeling chair, for at most
45 minutes at a time) to read e-mail, upload pages, whatever. When I
have a chance to read this evolt's posts -- which I have setup to come
in digest form -- I don't have much time to respond. I try to be sure I
put the person's name in the CC: line, but often forget to look up the
subject properly, and so on. Apologies... I could just repond to the
individual who posted a problem or question, instead of to the list, if
that would be better.

Cheers --
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com