[thelist] Netscape... why?

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Sat Jun 8 03:38:01 CDT 2002

Thus spake Erik Mattheis:

>>  or, essentially capability
>> testing by using @import...
>
> See previous post ... can't _always_ rely on that working.

If you are referring to the assertion that you cannot distinguish between,
say, IE 4/Win and IE 5/Mac solely via @import, see previous methods for
refinements of that technique and other techniques that work.

If you're referring to something else, I'd *very* much like to know more.

> Also to me: something that depends on a browser flaw - not
> understanding @import for example is more accurately a "hack" .

I disagree. You're testing for a feature, and when that feature isn't
available you then assume a certain level of support for other features (or,
in this case, lack thereof). It's defensive coding. Instead of sorting each
version and microversion of every browser (OmniWeb, Konqueror, iCab,
Netscape 4.x, Gecko-based, IE 5 Mac, IE/Win, IE 4.x Mac, etc.) you sort
based on features. Much more extensible and less maintenance in the long
run.

> Agreed ... both in regard to NN 4.x and for things you can do without
> JS or the risk of a proxy server screwing the site up. But again,
> there are some things that if you want to do them, you have no choice
> than to rely on JS. Really! Trust me!

True enough, but sorting browsers based on CSS support isn't one of them.

chris.kaminski == ( design | code | analysis )

    If you're not failing every now and again,
    it's a sign you're not doing anything
    very innovative.