[thelist] custom 404 document

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sat Jun 8 04:22:01 CDT 2002

Kevin wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I asked my host to setup a custom 404 document and it only seems to
 > work in Netscape and Opera. When I attempt to test it on IE it
 > doesn't work, unless I turn off  "friendly error messages".

Turn off friendly error messages, perhaps?

IE (irritatingly, and stupidly) occasionally supplies its own error
pages rather than allow the server to supply its own.  There's nothing
that can be done for the user, unless you try putting the following
snippet of HTML on your front page:

   If you're using IE, then to get the full effect of our 404 error
   pages, please turn off "friendly error messages" (go to Tools &gt;
   Options &gt; Advanced &gt; Turn Off Friendly Error Messages), then
   click the following link:

(note: only works if you don't have a file named foobar.snafu in the
same directory as your homepage)

--
Mark Gallagher