[thelist] Netscape... why?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Jun 8 15:37:01 CDT 2002

>If you are referring to the assertion that you cannot distinguish between,
>say, IE 4/Win and IE 5/Mac solely via @import, see previous methods for
>refinements of that technique and other techniques that work.
>
>If you're referring to something else, I'd *very* much like to know more.

My problem is not that I want to always _hide_ styles from particular
browsers I know exist today ... I want to only _show_ styles to
particular browsers I know exist today.

Example: if I'd depended on
http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/summary/ -
I'd have to go back to the drawing board now that IE 5.1 Mac is out
which supports @media.

But thankfully, their userAgents still contain MacPPC and MSIE.

>  > Also to me: something that depends on a browser flaw - not
>>  understanding @import for example is more accurately a "hack" .
>
>I disagree. You're testing for a feature, and when that feature isn't
>available you then assume a certain level of support for other features (or,
>in this case, lack thereof). It's defensive coding. Instead of sorting each
>version and microversion of every browser (OmniWeb, Konqueror, iCab,
>Netscape 4.x, Gecko-based, IE 5 Mac, IE/Win, IE 4.x Mac, etc.) you sort
>based on features. Much more extensible and less maintenance in the long
>run.

OK, this is the thing: The site I can't use @import for uses
DANGEROUS CSS! If it gets into the wrong browser it can render the
site unnavigable.

I feel much better about my coding if it degrades to something usable
in browsers that t6hje site does not intend to fully support - (and
are not listed in a contract as receiving full support).

If using @import works for your situation, by all means use it! It
doesn't in this one situation of mine!

>True enough, but sorting browsers based on CSS support isn't one of them.

No really! I'm not lying! I gotta do it!

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/

Through June 15