[thelist] ASP, mySQL, and lots of coffee...

Eric Langlitz elanglitz at attbi.com
Sat Jun 8 20:54:01 CDT 2002

Hi Everyone.  I have a "make me want to pull my hair" out situation.  Here
goes.

I have built a project application using ASP attached to a mySQL datasource
to keep track of jobs internally, and allow clients to request projects,
etc.  In the basic flow of the app, someone logs in, chooses to add a
project, fills in their information, and wham! the project is started.  When
the project fill out form is submitted, the information gets added to the db
and a rich email with the project detail is sent to whom-ever you have
chosen on your email list (dynamically created on the project entry form).

Here is the glitch.  We are keeping track of these jobs by number,
specifically, an auto increase number.  As of right now, that number does
not get sent in the rich e-mail, because the addition to the db is what
creates this number.

The question is, how can I get this number onto the email, or is this even
possible.  I have thought about a round trip to the db, but calling what?,
if I don't know what the number is?  I have also considered a transaction
process, but can I roll back an auto number?  What am I missing here, or
have I done this so backwards, I might as well have fallen off the dumb
truck?

Any help would be great!

- Eric