[thelist] Flash read only?

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Jun 10 08:51:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:40:00 +0100
David Dorward <evolt at david.us-lot.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:15:34 +0100
> "Andrew Maynes" <andrew at uk-webdeveloper.co.uk> wrote:

> > Is there a way stop people from looking at swf files, for example
> > if I visit a site with flash I can go and retrieve the file form
> > my hd and open it in flash and do what i please.... can I stop
> > this from happening?
>
> No you can't, you _must_ allow the webbrowser access to the file so
> that the webbrowser can display it (or pass it to the appropriate
> plugin). If a webbrowser can access the file then a user can do
> whatever the like with it.

I'll clarify - it might be possible to do something on the flash
level, I don't know enough about the technology to be sure, but you
can't stop users from getting at the files.

Oh dear, replying to my own messages, I suspect I might owe a tip now:

<tip>
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/%7Eflavell/alt/alt-text.html is a good read
on the use, and misuse, or alt text.
</tip>

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.