[thelist] CSS Layout questions

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 18:33:01 CDT 2002

Since I am redoing my personal site anyhow, you all have inspired me to go the CSS route as well.
I have been using glish.com as a resource. Couple questions:

1) What is the prevailing way of dealing with classes? Should I keep my character formatting stuff
separate from my content formatting code? example:

	#banner {
		border:1px solid #000;
		border-bottom:0px;
		background:#cc3300;
		width: 100%;
		}

is for the top of my page. I will have text in there too - should I continue with color: white;
font-family etc etc in #banner or define a class for the text that it will contain?

2) I don't understand a couple things about this workaround. a) when specifying #main twice, does
the browser read the info from the first, implement it, then add the stuff from the second
declaration below it? Also, what do you call it when you do #somename #somename { stuff }
together?

	#main {
		border:1px solid #000;
		background:#fff;
		}

/* Looks like you have to specify the width of #menu
or IE5 Mac stretches it all the way across the div, and
Opera streches it half way. */

	#main #menu {
		border-right:1px solid #000;
		border-bottom:1px solid #000;