[thelist] HTML email/e-newsletters

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Tue Jun 11 09:11:00 CDT 2002

This relates back to my question the other day about creating links in email messages. I'd like a brief explanation of (or links to web resources about) how HTML email works. I receive a couple of fancy-looking HTML-based e-newsletters everyday, and they look great (they are not attachments - they look like web pages when I open the message) but when I try to paste HTML code into a test email and send it to myself, it appears as code instead of as a web page. Until now I hadn't realized there was something different about creating an email that looks like a webpage - I thought you just wrote code and the email program, if capable, interpreted it like a web browser would do. (In fact, I'm *pretty sure* this used to be the case, because I remember having to put > and < around snippets of code when I wanted the actual code to display.) Can someone just clue me in as to some resources for the basics in doing an HTML-based e-newsletter? Thanks.
Janet