[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc, Etc

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Jun 11 16:37:00 CDT 2002

>'Cool' in the 'woah, man, that's eff'n *cool*' sense, yes. Cool in the
>temperature sense...no. The PowerBook'll get hot enough to be
uncomfortable
>on your lap (one of the few things about my VAIO I like better than the
PB),
>and the old 5300s would catch fire--literally.

Always love to see this hoary old chestnut trotted out. Unlike Dell, Apple
caught that particular bit before it got into the wild. The only two known
thermal incidents with a 5300 happened in Apple's own labs. Dell wasn't so
lucky.

If you're curious, the fault was in a bad charging setup for the Lithium
Ion battery. This means, BTW, that unless you're charging it in your lap,
it's not getting hot.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224