[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc, Etc

martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 12 06:24:00 CDT 2002

Chris Kaminski said:

> On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 11:38 PM, Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com wrote:
>
>> Always love to see this hoary old chestnut trotted out. Unlike
>> Dell, Apple
>> caught that particular bit before it got into the wild. The only two
>> known
>> thermal incidents with a 5300 happened in Apple's own labs. Dell
>> wasn't so
>> lucky.
>
> I don't have a source, so I'll concede for now, but that's not what I
> remember reading in the Mac pubs of the time.

> Ummm, the TiBook gets good and toasty. Trust me. I've used one.

To reply to a bunch of these at once (I'm working away and reading via
webmail as/when/if I have time)

1) Pretty much all fast laptops get toasty. My work laptop is a Compaq
Armada M300, my home one is a Vaio, and I wouldn't use either on my lap for
extended periods. If you ran without a fan for a while, they'd get *really*
hot.

2) Re the 5300 story. Apple were really, really bad at laptops in those
days. I had a 190 at the time which kept failing. However, when they
launched the Powerbook series, they got *much* better. Apple replaced my
190 with one of the 1st PB1700s in the UK and it was *fantastic*. It still
runs OS9 plenty fast enough for most purposes - even simple Photoshop work.
IIRC, they also did the responsible thing with the 5300s - a global product
recall (I forget what they replaced them with). But remember that this was
in about 1995...

3) Someone mentioned G3-300s running OSX and described them as recent.
Maybe they are for laptops (don't know), but my G3-300 at home is 2 1/2
years old and nearing replacement. That said, it runs everything I need
reasonably quickly, including Apache, Zope, Samba, sendmail, procmail with
spam filtering, fetchmail etc. I'm not sure I'd run a production server on
it, but for a development machine (which was the original question) and as
a local fileserver for my home network, it's plenty fine.

As I understand it btw OS10.2 will do wonders for interoperability with
Windows networks. I wouldn't care to be one of the people responsible for
Dave rn.

Cheers
Martin