[thelist] Dreamweaver Codewriting

Kostal Design | Sebastian Kostal info at kostaldesign.de
Wed Jun 12 11:52:00 CDT 2002

> small Dreamweaver discrimination:
>
> I've had a client that, when he finally looked at the code a previous
> developer had delivered to him, asked me "why do all of the javascripts in
> my code have MM_ in them?"  I replied: "those are Dreamweaver functions".
> "Dreamweaver?  The WYSIWYG editor?!?!"  He wasn't happy.
>
> Also, when I am looking to hire developers/programmers, I look at their
> code.  I want a developer that is able to write javascript from scratch.  I
> freely admit that I would not hire someone that used Dreamweaver's (or any
> other WYSIWYG's) code for a project instead of writing their own.
>
> I also cannot stand it when people's resumes say they know javascript and I
> see MM_ in their examples.  Kills me every time.
>
> I don't care if it's compact, versatile, etc.... learn to write it yourself
> if this is your profession.
>
> Maybe this is me being cranky because it's so damn hot today in the city.
> Oh well.
>
> David
> www.confluentforms.com

Wasn't an argument for me. If I find a solution that works and works well, I
am not going to waste my clients money to rebuild everything from scratch
just to say to myself: "I can build my own JavaScript functions". I sense a
little bit too much idealism in your opinion. Macromedia has some of the
most brilliant programmers hired for their company. I don't have to reinvent
the wheel everytime. This of course is just my, more practical opinion and
approach. I didn't want to be hired either.

Sebastian