[thelist] Dreamweaver Codewriting

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Wed Jun 12 12:06:00 CDT 2002

> ...I am not going to waste my clients money to
> rebuild everything from scratch just to say to
> myself: "I can build my own JavaScript functions"...

It's saying it to prospective clients that counts. The reason for writing
your own JS functions is not to achieve a sense of pride. It's to cut down
on bloated code and page loading times, which in turn can *lead to* a sense
of pride.

> I sense a little bit too much idealism in your opinion.

That's a bad thing? It's the *ideal* for a reason... aiming high is better
than missing low.

> Macromedia has some of the most brilliant
> programmers hired for their company.

I thought they all worked for Microsoft... :-)

Seriously, MM does indeed have some good programmers on staff, but all their
Dreamweaver releases except for MX have generated invalid bloated code.
Doesn't matter how good the GUI is if you use it to shoot yourself in the
foot. MX is a huge step in the right direction, and it will be interesting
to see how long this accessibility/usability/standards compliance effort
will last (my guess would be quite some time, since they just gave Jakob
Nielson a truckload of money).

My $0.02.

-Ken