[thelist] Dynamic homepage and search engines.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 12 14:35:01 CDT 2002

> From: Simon Willison <simon at incutio.com>
[...]
> In my opinion this just goes to show how behind they are. Now that
> server side scripting has become available to even relative web
> newbies a vast amount of information on the web is "hidden" behind a
> query string. By not indexing this material Altavista and Lycos are
> really showing their age.

it was actually a safety precaution for many of them...

let's say you have a product catalog that can display product views
in different ways, all with a different URL that's generated by things
like the id from a previous page, or a time stamp...

it's possible for the SE spider to get lost in the site, re-indexing the
same content over and over (just in different views), and never make
it out to index the rest of the site...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself