[thelist] Do I need a CMS

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Jun 13 13:02:01 CDT 2002

I am building a site now with an Articles section.  This Articles section
will contain the approx 1000 articles the site owner has written in MS Word.
I have a utility to convert them (en masse) to HTML and I am writing a Perl
script to strip off everything from these HTML files but the actual article
text.  The articles are divided into categories and some of the categories
are divided into subcategories.

My question is what do people think of my writing a simple CGI Perl script
(and an Access database) to handle producing (in real time) category,
sub-category and actual article pages?  I'll just keep pointers in the
database to all the files and then output article pages with the desired
HTML look before and after the article.  Does anyone think I need something
more sophisticated?

The site owner writes articles for different publications occasionally and
so there will be more articles to add, but I don't think any real volume of
them.  If there was one a week I would be surprised.  To add new articles, I
could just use the same semi-automated process of convert, strip and add to
the database.

I am wondering if I am missing any functionality here that might be useful.
This is my first time building a site of this type.

Thanks,
Hershel

PS: Anybody know what happened to cgi-list at jann.com?