[thelist] Validation > pressure on software companies??

Kostal Design | Sebastian Kostal info at kostaldesign.de
Fri Jun 14 08:37:01 CDT 2002

>> I've seen valid code that breaks on NN 4.5 Mac. So the validator seems
>> to me no measure to assure correct page display.
>
> As it shouldn't be. If that was happening then it would be the html standard
> following browser foibles instead of browsers trying to follow the standard.

I have mixed feelings about that. Netscape 4.5 is still a broadly used
browser and one of the browsers I always test on. I agree that standards are
important as a foundation. On top of this you can build non standards
features that wont show, if they are not suported or not incorporated.

Still, a site that does not work on a relatively recent browser is not a
good design, even if it validates, because the goal is not to meet a
standard in the end, but serve people a website that functions.

Sebastian