[thelist] PHP on W2k/IIS5 - Any gotchas to be aware of?

Michael Kimsal michael at tapinternet.com
Fri Jun 14 10:09:01 CDT 2002

Garrett Coakley wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 03:17:05PM +0100, John Handelaar wrote:
>

>>You can't send header() and cookies/session data
>>on the same page.
>>
>>If that *is* a problem...
>>

>Hmmm... that *could* be a problem, depends on whether they really want to
>use the administration tool or not. Arse. You got a link where I can read
>about this, or is it just from bitter experience? *:)
>

>>Right now on an NT-based platform I'd be putting
>>Apache2 on it and running PHP as a CGI until the
>>module gets out of beta.  The new Apache actually
>>works on NT/2K at least as well as IIS.
>>

>I did suggest this to them, but they don't have the inhouse expertise to
>manage Apache, so it's not really a viable option.

Just sticking my nose in here, but it doesn't really sound like they
have the
experise to manage *any* webserver inhouse.  They are moving *away* from
something
(bad experience) not specifically moving *toward* something else.

Regardless of the consultative advice you give them, they're probably
convinced that they can do better than the external company, so that's
what they'll do.

Is it currently running under W2k IIS5?  Doesn't sound like it,
otherwise you'd
already know the pitfalls.  Do they have web developers and network
admins on staff?
If not, why try to migrate something to a completely different platform
from what it
was written on, ignoring not only the caution of the original developer,
but their
own ignorance of what's involved?

I just don't get it.  Talk to them about moving to another application
host -
call me if you'd like and we can arrange something.  (shamless plug!).
 But please
please please don't let them try to host it themselves on IIS5 - it's a
disaster
waiting to happen.

(pulling nose out now)

Michael Kimsal