[thelist] Shared email clients and privacy/security

Massimo Mezzini webmaster at menouno.com
Sun Jun 16 11:35:04 CDT 2002

On 15 Jun 2002 at 9:37, Bob Haroche wrote about
Re: [thelist] Shared email clients :

> I just set up Mercury pop/smtp server last night and
> am impressed with its features and security.
> Am I wrong though that you need to run your
> own dns server (or at least have control over your
> dns addresses) in order to receive email addressed
> to your domain?

I suppose that if you want to run it as the primary mail server for your domain - yes,
you would need a static IP and a DNS record pointing at it. But I've only used
Mercury/32 as a local server on some small networks (5-75 users), downloading via
POP3, handling internal mail and sending out though some ISP's SMTP servers.
More or less what Adrian Fischer needed.

If you need help to manage Mercury/32 and Pegasus Mail, the support lists running
on bama.edu are really helpful and let you browse the list archives. See
<http://bama.ua.edu/archives/index.html>. I can't reach it at the moment but it's
probably my connection.

ciao

Massimo