[thelist] WARNING: Very odd browser behavior -- anybody else seeing this?

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Sun Jun 16 14:35:01 CDT 2002

Hi, ALL --

My Web host is working on this issue, but I wanted to alert this list
to a VERY odd happening:

About 2 weeks back I put up a tiny prototype site for someone who wants
to hire me. Last night I made some textual changes and loaded them onto
that same subdomain I had set up before (just as a convenient place
from which he can look at the pages).

Now, 2 weeks ago, I created a rough "banner.gif" and I didn't change
this file. The pages all have a background color of #CCFFFF (the famous
minty green), with a pale green grid as a background transparent gif.
The banner.gif is just the color of the background grid, with a white
or pale (minty) green much smaller grid running through it. Last week
all was displaying normally.

In the interim, this machine, running IE v 5.5, had Klez worm
infection. Several times we ran FixKlez, and also installed the newest
Norton 2000 package (antivirus plus firewall) when it arrived via snail
mail.

Now, as of last night, the banner.gif is NOT VISIBLE from this browser,
on my host's server. I can look at the files on a floppy, and this same
browser does display the banner.gif -- in fact, my host can look at the
pages and see the banner.gif file!

Just to make things even weirder, on my own site accesswriters.com
there is a completely different file called banner.gif which has also
become invisible (to me!) since last week.

Has anyone else seen this behavior on a browser recently? Say, after
installing Norton 2000 firewall & antivirus? Or, after a Klez worm
infection? Or has someone written a virus tackling only files named
banner.gif?

"Danger, Will Robinson!!!"

Cheers --
Carol Stein