[thelist] Site check for all browsers please

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 13:24:02 CDT 2002

| On 2002/06/17, Chris Mason said:

> We have recently launched our new guide to Anguilla and I would like to
> get some feedback from my peers on usability, design, navigation, and to
> make sure all the bells and whistles work, such as the panoramas, web
> cam, map, etc.

Chris

Browser: Mac IE 5.1

My initial impressions:

The overall look and feel seems a little 'kiddy'; the choice of font and colors
strikes me as a little too 'childish' (esp. that shocking pink...)

The header/logo changing on each reload struck me as strange, as it works
against a constant 'brand' feel. My initial thought was that the page had
changed, even though it hadn't. Maybe relegate the changing area to 1/3 to 1/2
of the header, with the other staying constant.

I worry that the contrast between the navigation links and the blue panels isn't
great enough. I'd also be concerned that they aren't large enough and there are
too many similar links (Guide:Night and Links:Entertainment, Guide:Restaurants
and Links:Restaurants) as well as just confusing links (Odd Bits, Information)
that don't give any clue what's behind.

Links in the main body copy being pink, and blue headers, seems the wrong way
around. Even more confusing, some blue headers are links, others aren't.

In the paragraph that says "Our weather webcam" there isn't actually a link to
the cam, just instructions as to where the actual link is found on the page. I
saw the header and expected the links to be there. Very jarring. The cam itself
worked fine (though it looked a lot less inviting that I imagined...). Maybe if
the weather is really bad, you turn the cam towards a poster :)

JScript error on attempting to select a panorama (Line 79, Char 3, Object
doesn't support this property or method), but the one that was there seemed to
work okay. (And looked a lot warmer than the cam...)

Look:Map link opened a window then prompted to download a PDF; which was
confusing and unexpected.

On the plus side, content was great and seemed useful.

Overall, a nice site that - IMHO - just needs some more work on the navigation.

I'd also consider looking again at the 'tone' of graphics, whether they suit the
target market, and they are 'authoritive' enough for a site of this nature.

HTH

Andy W