[thelist] Site check request + blatant weblog promotion

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Jun 17 20:38:01 CDT 2002

> http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/
>
> I'm interested in feedback on all aspects of the site,
> in particular the content so far but also the design
> (I'm not much of a designer so advice on making it
> visually more appealing would be great)

hi simon

looks fine to me, the grey scheme is okay, but you forgot the obligatory
single graphic that would keep it from looking totally textish

i tried the white/darkgrey/black stylesheet switchers in the top right
corner, only to discover that's not what they are

the layout looks "fixed" so let's have a look at this puppy at 640x480

yup, your mainArea div sits *below* your leftMenu div, so maybe you should
"unhide" the Skip over navigation link  ;o)

okay, i've reset my display back to 800x600

now let's try font size Larger (which i often use at 800x600)

uh oh, same problem -- leftMenu with oceans of blank space beside it

speaking of leftMenu, it's too narrow, too many of the items wrap, although
the item bullets work fine (many sites screw them up)

as far as the content is concerned, you need not be -- concerned, that is

delacour linked to you today, which says plenty (i'm not usually a
name-dropper, eh, but i did happen to read his site before you posted your
critique request and recognized your name)

finally, three cheers for putting evolt at the top of your lurk list

you rock

rudy
http://rudy.ca/