[thelist] Choosing an XML editor

Brad Miller beldamar at beldamar.com
Mon Jun 17 22:06:11 CDT 2002

~Can anyone suggest a good XML editor to use?

Dave,
A lot of the editor preference depends on how you like to see your XML.

If you like the Word Processor type interface and can create a good dtd to
work with I would suggest XmetaL from SoftQuad, now owned by Corel. They
also have a tags on view and a source view. It is fully customizable with a
css so you can make the interface look however you want. The other nice
thing about it is that you can use just about any scripting language to work
with it. Including modifying the entire application from buttons to
drop-down menus.
www.softquad.com

When I was looking for XML editors the first one I tried was XML Spy. I
hated it. There was just too much stuff to get a handle on. Once you work
with it a while it is pretty nice. But I didn't like the interface as it was
a bit confusing and overwhelming. But you should try it out for yourself.
www.xmlspy.com

The one I really like for just plain old editing was Microsoft's XML
Notepad. It is a very simple tree structure editor that is very easy to use
and it is free. Go figure, Microsoft giving away software. Downfall is that
it does not validate against a DTD or Schema, it only checks for well-formed
XML.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/html/
xmlpaddownload.asp

Good luck,