[thelist] Site check request + blatant weblog promotion

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Tue Jun 18 14:18:01 CDT 2002

   From: Simon Willison <simon at incutio.com>

   >The same thing (albeit to a lesser extent) goes for your non-intuitive
   >practice of using the time the entry was posted as a link to the entry. It
   >makes sense afterwards -- but if I wanted to link to one of your entries, I
   >might not be wondering "Gee, maybe if I hover over the time the entry was
   >posted, it'll tell me how to link to the entry itself." (-: I'd be scanning
   >for something that said "Link."

   Actually until yesterday I was using the word "Permalink" for these links -
   I changed to using the time for the accessibility reasons mentioned above
   (and because the footer was getting pretty crowded). The popular blogging
   software Moveable Type defaults to using the time as a permalink so I
   thought I would get away with it. I'll think about changing this when I
   rejiggle the site design.

How about something like "[Link - $time]" ?  It'll be different for every post,
and it leaves almost no ambiguity about what's going on without being much
longer than something like it deserves to be (rather like this sentence).

my ha'penny
(do they still make those?)

jonathon isaac swiderski
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski       jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders \\ members.evolt.org/jswiders

Reason number #127 to use Linux: #!/bin/zsh