[thelist] jsp homepage

Michael Galvin mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie
Wed Jun 19 08:07:01 CDT 2002

For reasons beyond my control, a client site has been made in jsp, and tied
to a database.  Now the client would like to show some contents of the
database on the homepage, like the last 5 records added to it.

Because of the craptacular hosting company we have (again, beyond my control
- the client has some sort of deal with them or something) the jsp portions
of the site up to now have all resided on a different port (9080).

To make the homepage use the db, what would I need to do?  My thoughts so
far are:

1. Use an iframe or ilayer to hold the db-driven portion of the homepage.
2. Load index.html as normal, then redirect to an index.jsp on port 9080
3. Cry.

At the moment, I'm plumbing for option 3, but I don't think the client will
pay as much for that service.  How do I get around this without causing
heartache to me and, more importantly, users?  Client?  Meh.

If someone could explain why I'm forced to go to port 9080, that would be
good too - perhaps there's some way of 'masking' that?

--
Michael Galvin
source visual thinking