[thelist] CSS nav bar 100% height?

lists at josegordo.com lists at josegordo.com
Wed Jun 19 14:35:00 CDT 2002

Hello,

I've decided to go with a completely tabless design using CSS postioning
for a client's intranet. The design consists of basically two columns, a
navigation bar on the left and the actual content to the right. The problem
a I am running into is that often the content on the right is longer than
the navigation bar, and I can't for the life of me get the height of the
navigation bar to span the height of the content as "height: 100%; does not
work on divs. This topic has been discussed on the list before, however a
search of the archive turned up no solutions, and actually a poster
mentioned that this might not be possible.

However, this has been done in http://www.alistapart.com/ but I've looked
at their code and could not find out how they achieved this. I'm obviously
missing something, but what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since messing around with the height
of the navbar in pixels to match that of the body is not an option.

Thanks,
Jose