[thelist] Configure Apache VirtualHost AND Using PHP with Apache 2

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 15:56:00 CDT 2002

--- David Bindel <dbindel at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I just made the move from Windows 2000 Server to Red Hat Linux last
> night......

Exxxcellent...

> I am trying to set up Apache to host 2 separate websites on ports 80
> and 82, but unfortunately, after many different configuration
> *tries*, I have given up and chosen to bring my problem to thelist.

Why would you want two instances of Apache on two ports?  Use the magic
that is virtual hosting.

> I don't really understand the NameVirtualHost command or the whole
> VirtualHost thing.

In your httpd.conf, start with something like:

NameVirtualHost 123.45.67.89

<VirtualHost 123.45.67.89>
   ServerName yourdomain1.com
   ServerAlias www.yourdomain1.com
   ## More configuration
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 123.45.67.89>
   ServerName yourdomain2.com
   ServerAlias www.yourdomain2.com
   ## More configuration
</VirtualHost>

And regard http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html as your
savior.

> Also, I can't figure out how to install PHP for use with Apache 2.

Simply, don't.  If these are at all production level websites, don't
use Apache 2 with PHP yet.  Go to httpd.apache.org and get a nice fresh
Apache 1.3.26 package (because of the security problems with 1.3.24 -
they are only reported as being exploitable on Windows and possibly
64bit UNIX, but hey, why risk it?).  Otherwise I think it's something
like:

./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

But I don't recommend it, and I doubt it will work with only the
command I used.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php

HZ
New York PHP