[thelist] Pet Market: SWF proven more efficient.

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Jun 19 17:33:01 CDT 2002

Howdy, I guess I'm throwing down a gauntlet here... can you pick holes in
the performance metrics found for this set of web applications? 8)

<http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/blueprint/articles/performance.html>

It's one of the few cases I've seen which has actually measured the server
bandwidth costs and time-of-usage costs for roughly comparable web
applications.

(These aren't perfectly comparable web applications, because the SWF-driven
Pet Market adds photos and localizable external text to the application
features, but despite that it still comes in at a lower overall cost.)

Most of the advantages come from Pet Market completely separating the data
from the presentation layer... it doesn't require the server generate and
transfer a new display page after each user interaction, or to download
complex text scripts for trivial client-side interactions. SWF is more fun,
_and_ more efficient.

HTML is still great for documents, but SWF offers quantifiable advantages
for applications. Anyone interested in taking the contrary position...? ;-)

----

More info:

Index of Pet Market articles:
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/blueprint/

Discussion group for the application itself:
http://webforums.macromedia.com/richintapps/

My overview of what the app does, and doesn't do:
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/jd010.html

Discussion thread for Macromedia blueprints in general:
<http://webforums.macromedia.com/macromediafeedback/messageview.cfm?catid=22
0&threadid=37487>

[Apologies for the multi-list post, but I think folks need to see this new
stuff.]

tx,
jd