[thelist] Cannot download documents from local Intranet

Rob Smith rob.smith at thermon.com
Thu Jun 20 09:58:01 CDT 2002

Hi list,

I'm wondering if any of you have ever had this problem before? On our recent
Intranet site, before SSL and Windows NT Authentication, we were able to
download documents with ease. Now that I've added the security levels, we
cannot download anything.

Upon entry to the Intranet, a security alert pops up warning that I'm about
to download a certificate from a company I've not yet chosen to trust. I
click Yes (I want to download the certificate). I get the little security
lock down in the browser and everything is fine. However, when I attempt to
download a document (i.e. .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.) I get 3 error messages
stating that:

1)  Security Alert
This page requires a secure connection which includes
server authentication.

The Certificate Issuer for this site is untrusted or
unknown. Do you wish to proceed?
[Yes] [No] [View Certificate] [More Info]

2) Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'https://intranet/docs/form.xls'.
There are several possible reasons:

*The file name or path name does not exist.
*The file you're trying to open is being used by another program. Close the
document in the other
program, and try again.
*The name of the workbook you're trying to save is the same as the name of
another document that is
read-only. Try saving the workbook with a different name.
[Ok]

3) Microsoft Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer cannot download ...form.xls from (Intranet).

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
site is either unavailable or
cannot be found. Please try again later.
[Ok]

Needless to say, I'm getting a bunch of errors that aren't really related to
my problem. I've tried to add my intranet site to my list of trusted sites
and that's either not working or I'm not doing it correctly.

Advice?

Rob.Smith