[thelist] Re: CSS article

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 11:34:00 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 20, 2002 at 16:57, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

TDA> --- Daniel Medley <dm at lgcy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Arlen wrote:
>> > Should it be set in px or em? *That* one needs asbestos gloves to handle.
>> > prefer em, others prefer px, and there are extremely vocal supporters on
>> > either side.
>> >
>> At the risk of asking a silly question; what about percentages and the pros
>> and cons? I'm curious

TDA> I'm curious too. I switched my site over to a bluerobot.com CSS
TDA> layout, but he uses PX values for font sizes. While I agree that
TDA> relative sizes are better for the user, it seems to me there are
TDA> nearly as many problems using relative sizes. I'd almost rather
TDA> take the control away from the user so I at least know the site
TDA> will "look good" (from MY viewpoint) in most browsers.

TDA> But if there were a way to use relative sizes, I want to hear it
TDA> because I'd like to do that. Obviously CSS keywords are not the
TDA> way to go, so what is?

owen briggs has 264 screen shots of fonts sized in different ways on
different browsers at:

   http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html

personally i prefer em's, but then i ain't a designer...and the
designs i do do, don't rely on the font being a specific size (more
through luck than judgement though! :)

hth,

darren