[thelist] Re: CSS article

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jun 20 11:38:00 CDT 2002

Arlen:
> ems - against: no way of knowing what the size will be, so
> more testing is required to ensure the design doesn't break easily

more testing?  not if it's designed from the get-go to accommodate any size
font (within reason, of course -- most designs will barf if the user sets
font size to 72px or something)

Tom:
> I'd almost rather take the control away from the user so I at least
> know the site will "look good" (from MY viewpoint) in most browsers.

gifs are good for that   [ducks]

> Obviously CSS keywords are not the way to go, so what is?

don't set font size for main body test

use ems or percentages if necessary for less important stuff like the legal
disclaimers at the bottom of the page that you don't expect people to read
anyway

if you must resize headers (Hx) from their defaults, again, use ems or %

Daniel:
> At the risk of asking a silly question; what about percentages
> and the pros and cons? I'm curious

percentages should work just like ems

not backwards compatible to all old browsers

but then, not much of css is

rudy
http://rudy.ca/