[thelist] Target=_blank or back button?

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Thu Jun 20 17:06:01 CDT 2002

> I use target="_blank" extensively at http://egbdf.info. When I refer
someone
> offsite, I'd like to make it easy for the less technical folks to continue
> reading where they left off (I want them to finish reading, darn it!) But
> Eric makes a good point; this takes control out of the hands of the
visitor.
> Bad form and all that.
>
> If a site gave you the option to have offsite links open in a new window,
> would you use it, or would you continue your current habits?

Actually, I meant to discuss that in my prior e-mail.  I think that's
actually the best solution.  Sites which allow you to choose whether to open
selected links in a new window or not (and which *mark those links that will
do so*) are the best of both worlds.

Of course, then you have to argue about which way to default the button.  ;)