[thelist] Get the dimensions of a Flash file using JavaScript...

Chris George cdgeorge77 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 17:08:00 CDT 2002

>From: jdowdell at macromedia.com (John Dowdell)
>
>At 12:47 PM 6/20/2, Chris George wrote:
> > I need to get the dimensions of a Flash file
> > in a web page using JavaScript.
>
>This can be hard. The first question to answer is "Which JavaScript?"
>Different browsers have different implementations. Your visitors can choose
>their browser, so finding what they're using is the first step in learning
>whether JavaScript can tell you this.
[snip]
That's what I was afraid of...

Basically, there is content below the Flash file (a DHTML menu) that is
230px from the top of the page.  But I'm using percentages for the widtha nd
height of the Flash... therefore there is a point where Flash overlaps the
DHTML... so I thought I could just do this (pseudocode):

GetTheHeightOfFlash
NewHeightOfMenu = HeightOfFlash+30

MenuY = NewHeightOfMenu

But I think I'm going to have to recreate the DHTML menu in Flash... I hate
to give up on it, but I haven't yet found any evidence reinforcing the fact
that it can even be done...

Gah.

Thanks for the response John!

---