[thelist] SITE BUILDING: plan of attack OR how do you experienced people tackle a from-the-ground-up website?

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 20 19:53:01 CDT 2002

Hello Chris :

	All the suggestions that you've heard here are really good.
Nothing beats planning. One thing that I didn't see mentioned was the
use of a flowchart. I find this, in addition to the paper layout can be
invaluable in debugging issues later. Since other people have added to
the pencil-on-paper-design part of it, I will go with the flowchart
part.

	Flowcharting comes in *very* handy when your site involves
databases, authentication, or any form of top down approach. The
starting point should be when the user hits [enter] or the silly [go]
button and your site loads up. From there, you can use standard
flowcharting diagrams to design the flow of your site. As a side
benefit, it comes in handy when you are trying to "sell" your site to
someone who may not be as technically inclined as you.

hth,
Burhan