[thelist] Re: [WD]: Job search strageties (was Certification).

Benjamin C. Varadi bvaradi at nlcnet.org
Thu Jun 20 21:08:08 CDT 2002

Charles Noles wrote:

> I like the advice given, except for the following:
>
> 	"...Most résumés should be a maximum of 3 pages in length."
 > if your resume is longer than a /single/ page, there
> had better be a /really/ good reason

While I don't disagree with this, a headhunter a while back suggested
that I move knowledge of specific applications to a separate document,
to be offered on request or at interviews.  For example, the resumé says
I've done graphics work, the supplement lists photoshop, illustrator, etc.

Later on, a particularly nice interviewer after a particularly bad
interview pointed out how important it is to only list those programs
you've got down 100%, that are difficult to get down, and that you are
comfortable with the background behind (ie: Photoshop, yes.  Outlook
Express, no.  That WYSIWYG VRML editor you played around with once, no.).

Not sure where this fits in exactly, but I once almost lost an interview
  in the following conversation (to a relatively tech-savvy, but harried
editor at a dotcom):
"What software do you use to create your (dHTML) pages?"
"Usually Homesite on the PC, BBEDit on a Mac.  Anything, really."
"Oh, /visual/ editors.  Well, we use Dreamweaver here.  Have you ever
done anything with a /real/ website coding program?"
"Um."

I dunno what the moral is there.  I did eventually manage to talk some
sense into him.

-BEN

--
Benjamin C. Varadi