[thelist] Re: free tech classroom training?

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Fri Jun 21 12:26:01 CDT 2002

Hi, Ben (and all)

> Is there a list somewhere of local or national volunteer organizations
> teaching IT skills to folks who can't afford training/ 'net access/
> whatever?
>
> I'd like to become involved, or possibly start something up.
>
> -BEN

I recommend (IF you have good English accent and vocabulary) you look
for senior net. They always can use good teachers; have locations set
up in many places. Teaching seniors is EXCELLENT training in user
interface design, too!

Some places have rhetoric indicating they also teach disadvantaged
persons, but on examination, I've always found these are inaccessible,
for some reason. All right, call me cynical -- and I did spend two
decades in NYC -- but I've come to believe most such "agencies" use the
rhetoric to obtain old, about-to-be-replaced corporate machines, but
then divert them to the agency personnel's own use. Which is okay with
me if the end result helps the target population in SOME way.

Cheers --
Carol Stein (techwatcher)